Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Liability Insurance for flying in Europe

Liability insurance covers injury to other people and damage to their property. You need liability insurance to fly legally in most European countries even if a PG rating license is not required.

Here's a contact for obtaining PG third-party liability insurance for flying in Europe.

Sepp Himberger
AXA Insurance


I've never had to actually test if they pay up (thankfully), but Sepp was friendly enough. He even invited me to fly at his home site in Koessen, Austria.

It costs 70 euros for a year. You need to fax him an application form with the details of your glider and license, in my case the FAI license from the Aero Club of India, New Delhi.

Note that emergency rescue and world wide coverage are only available to EU citizens. Last year, Sepp told me that I was covered only for liability and only for flying in the EU.

1 comment:

PG Massala Club said...

good post. I added 2 tags to it, insurance and europe so we can find the post more easily at a later stage