Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Traffic in the Sky

Was at yelagiri the past weekend, the 30th and the 31st of May.
Turned out to be rather brilliant, the monsoons hadn't quite penetrated that far east yet and for the most part, we had beautifully clear skies to dive into. :)

Got around to my first, and more importantly; solo, high altitude flight from RK (if I'm not mistaken) take off site. Was a bit nervous actually, not a simple task jumping into a 600m void for the first time, but I found that all that disappeared once I was in the air.

Wriggled into my harness, sat comfortably and had a most pleasant flight down.
While landing though, in the process of avoiding the ditch on the left side, I managed to veer off into the thorny bushes to the right, but luckily enough, I manged to land in a slight clearing so I didn't quite suffer the inch long thorns that so many of the other para-gliders faced on the same landing patch.

Managed only one flight that day though, exhausted as we were from the drive and the psychotic tamil nadu heat. Tried another by the evening after a nice lunch of parotas and curry but someone forgot to pray to the Indian wind god (Vayu) and he therefore, rather pettily, decided to punish us with the most beautiful of breezes going in entirely the wrong direction.

Sigh! C'est la vie.

Wasn't a total waste though, we manged a nice bottle of beer each, with pleasant conversations of arbitrary plans ahead of wonderful glide-able mountains in distant lands... and of course, all this sitting on top of a mountain with a view of orange lightning striking the landscape.

The next day was quite good I'd say, got to fly twice, and even managed to get a video, a minute or so long from about 400m off the ground. Lots of wind, weirdest possible positions to accommodate the camera while trying not the drop the same while I switch hands to control each of the brakes.
Attempting to maintain a course to the bases as well.



Didn't quite work out though, realized that I'd drifted off too far to the right when Vrata told me so. At which point in time, I stop gawking at the beautiful scenery and concentrated on landing. Bit of a messy landing, but nothing to complain about I'd say.

We managed to get up again, and had another round of flights before lunch.
I've forgotten actually, did we have lunch? Hmmm...

Anyway, amazing flight, tried leaning and turning instead of just braking on one side, found it to be rather comfortable. The glider behaved brilliantly, and I managed not to get that bit of churning/nauseating feeling when you free fall.

We managed to get back again, hoping for another flight, though the winds had died down by then.
Vrata managed a forward take off in the low winds and some time later Robin was off and some more time later Vijay got off too.

In the process of course, we went thought around seven million forms of uncertainties, about whether we'd get to fly or not. Some times there'd be no wind, sometimes too much and other times the wind would just have some sort of mood swing and arrive towards us in the most inconceivable of directions. And of course, the rain!

I'm quite sure it was a para-glider that composed the nursery rhyme...

Rain rain go away,
Come again another day,
Little Johnny wants to fly!

I think there was some loss in translation somewhere and someone turned fly into play. :)

I wonder if there are other sports that are so heavily governed by the weather. I guess one would call off a cricket match or two if it rained, but I doubt a few degrees of change in the wind direction or a sudden lack of it ever kept anyone else from whacking a tennis ball around.
For some reason, I get the feeling that para-gliders would make excellent meteorologists!

But such is the way of the para-glider I guess, if I could call myself that quite so soon.

No comments: